Burial plots or more accurately grave rights can either be purchased in advance or at the time of need and are set in glades in the woodland. The Estate offers plots based on the natural development of the site and individual locations cannot be reserved or specified.
When you purchase a burial plot you are actually purchasing an Exclusive Right of Burial which is granted for a period of ninety nine years, the maximum permissible in law; however this does not imply that we have any intention to resell the grave or reuse it in any way that may cause disturbance to any human remains buried there.
Pricing is based on three distinct elements, the grave right purchase, the registration fee and gravedigging costs.
The Burial Plot / Grave Right Purchase
This is paid either in advance or at the time of need; the advantage of a pre-purchase is the price is fixed at the time of purchase. Payment in instalments can be arranged.
The Interment Registration Fee
This is only paid at the time of the funeral and covers the prevailing costs of funeral administration, mapping of the grave location, certifying the burial and entering the details into the Register of Burials in accordance with the 1864 Registration of Burials Act, Births and Deaths Registration Act 1926 and 1953, Registration of Births and Deaths Regulations 1987.
The digging of the grave
This is obviously only paid at the time of the funeral.
- Burial Plot: £1195 (standard grave)
- Double Burial Plot: £ 2390 (two adjacent standard graves)
- Ashes Plot: £ 595 (cremated remains grave)
- Double Ashes Plot: £ 1190 (two adjacent cremated remains graves)
- Interment Registration Fee: £ 540
- Gravedigging (single standard grave): £ 615
- Gravedigging (single cremated remains grave): £ 395
- A4 size plaque carved with only one first name followed by the surname and dates of birth & death onto a 1.5″ thick blue-black Cumbrian slate – £ 150
Because of the unique tragedy that is the death of a child burial plots for infants and children under the age of 16 are free of charge. The full gravedigging and registration fees are still payable.
As recognition that we are all part of a much larger universe these prices are valid for a year from the Vernal Equinox*.
*the Vernal or spring equinox occurs around March 20th / 21st and is the point when the sun appears to cross the equator as the tilt of the earth’s axis brings summer to the northern hemisphere.